Fantastic Steel Cut Oatmeal and Blueberry Muffins
Another OKS&F Favorite Breakfast
Breakfast is the most important meal of the day, and you’ll feel great about grabbing these muffins on the go. These steel cut oatmeal muffins are slightly sweet, moist, and power-packed wih good nutrition!
The recipe below easily makes 24 muffins. Why so much? These muffins can easily be frozen and stored for a quick grab-and-go option as an after-workout breakfast, or snack in the middle of a busy day.
3 cups whole wheat flour
2 cups all purpose flour
4 Tbsp dry flax meal
4 tsp baking powder
2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp table salt
2 Tbsp ground cinnamon
1/2 cup white granulated sugar
2 cups cooked steel cut oatmeal
2 cups fresh or frozen blueberries (but don't defrost)
4 large eggs
2 2/3 cups buttermilk
1/4 cup maple syrup
1/2 cup olive oil
2 Tbsp vanilla extract
1. Preheat your oven to 350 degrees, and liine 24 muffin cups.
2. Sift together the wheat flour, all purpose flour, flax meal, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon.
3. In a separate bowl, beat together the eggs and sugar until well incorporated. Add the buttermilk, maple syrup, olive oil, and vanilla extract. Mix well.
4. Mix in cooked oatmeal until fully incorporated.
5. Quickly fold in the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients, making sure the flour is no longer visible - but do not overmix. Some small lumps are okay.
6. Gently fold in the blueberries.
7. Spoon batter into the muffin cups, filling all the way to the top.
8. Bake on the middle rack for 22-25 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out almost clean, with maybe a few crumbs still attached.
9. Remove and cool at least 10 minutes before removing from the muffin tin.