Looking for a completely oil-free healthy waffle that will energize your workouts and make your taste buds dance?
• 2 1/2 cups light soy milk or nonfat milk (warmed to 100°Fahrenheit to 110°Fahrenheit)
• 1 teaspoon dry yeast
• 1 1/2 cups unbleached all purpose flour
• 1 cup buckwheat flour
• 2 teaspoons baking powder
• 1 cup old-fashioned oats
• 1/4 cup minced crystallized ginger
• 2 tablespoons sugar
• 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
• 1 teaspoon salt
• 6 large egg whites, beaten to blend
• 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted, or vegetable oil
• 1 cup sliced almonds, toasted
• 1 cup plain low-fat yogurt
• 5 bananas, sliced
• pure honey, to taste
Mix milk, yeast, ginger, and sugar in medium bowl to blend. Let stand until foamy, approximately 10 minutes.
Mix both flours, oats, cinnamon and salt in a large bowl. Add yeast mixture; stir to blend (batter will be thick). Cover and chill at least 1 hour or overnight.
Preheat oven to 150°F.
Preheat Belgian waffle iron according to manufacturer's instructions.
Next, mix egg whites, melted butter and baking powder into batter. Spoon 1 cup batter onto iron; spread with spatula. Cover and cook until golden and cooked through, approximately 4 minutes. Transfer waffle to baking sheet and keep warm in oven. Repeat, making 6 waffles total.
Place waffles on plates.
Top with almonds, yogurt, bananas, and honey. Enjoy!